An $85 nonrefundable fee is required as part of an application to Columbia University. We are unable to refund the application fee under any circumstances.
If paying the application fee is a significant financial burden for your family, we encourage you to request a fee waiver through your admission application. The eligibility guidelines for application fee waivers are listed below. If you received a Realize Your College Potential fee waiver from the College Board, but do not meet the need-based eligibility criteria outlined within the Common Application, you will need to pay the $85.00 application fee to apply to Columbia University.
Below are the eligibility guidelines for application fee waivers:
- You have received or are eligible to receive an ACT or SAT testing fee waiver.
- You are enrolled in or eligible to participate in the Federal Free or Reduced Price Lunch program (FRPL).
- Your annual family income falls within the Income Eligibility Guidelines set by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service.
- You are enrolled in a federal, state, or local program that aids students from low-income families (e.g., TRIO programs such as Upward Bound).
- Your family receives public assistance.
- You live in a federally subsidized public housing, a foster home or are homeless.
- You are a ward of the state or an orphan.
- You can provide a supporting statement from a school official, college access counselor, financial aid officer, or community leader.
Requesting a fee waiver will not disadvantage an applicant in any way.
For first-year applicants, an e-mail will be sent to the counselor or school official designated on your application to verify your eligibility.
Applicants must submit payment online using an electronic check or Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express credit card. Payment (or fee waiver) is due at the time that you submit your application.
We do not accept cash or paper checks and all application fees must be submitted online.