Please review the application instructions below carefully before beginning an application. Please note that Columbia only accepts the Common Application, and that all candidates must apply online.
Please also be sure to review What Does Columbia Look For in a Candidate?
The following are required components of a complete application:
- The Common Application, which includes:
- Autobiographical information
- $85 application fee or fee waiver request
- Lists and descriptions of a student’s achievements, activities, employment and summer activities
- The Common Application personal essay
- Columbia-specific member questions
- The Columbia Writing Supplement to the Common Application
- Secondary School Report
- An official high school transcript from all high schools attended
- One high school counselor’s recommendation and school profile
- The completed Mid-Year Report
- Required Standardized Testing
- SAT and two SAT Subject Test scores (for Engineering applicants, Math 1 or 2 and Biology, Physics or Chemistry) or the ACT Assessment with Writing
- The appropriate SAT code is 2116 and the appropriate ACT code is 2717
- English proficiency examination score (if necessary)
- Two Teacher Recommendations
- These recommendations must come from teachers who taught you in academic disciplines
- For engineering applicants, one must come from a math or science teacher
Additional components of the application which may make it complete:
Please note that Columbia reserves the right to evaluate an application and render a final decision even if all pieces of the application have not been received.