Please review the application instructions below carefully before beginning an application. Candidates must apply through the Common Application or the Coalition Application. Applicants must submit only one complete application.
Please also be sure to review What Does Columbia Look For in a Candidate?
The following are required components of a complete first-year application for Fall 2017:
- The Coalition Application or The Common Application and the Columbia Writing Supplement, which includes:
- Autobiographical information
- $85 application fee or fee waiver request
- Lists and descriptions of a student’s achievements, activities, employment and summer activities
- Personal essay
- Columbia-specific questions
- Secondary School Report
- An official high school transcript from all high schools attended
- One high school counselor’s recommendation and school profile
- The completed Mid-Year Report
- Required Standardized Testing
- SAT or the ACT
- The appropriate SAT code is 2116 and the appropriate ACT code is 2717
- English proficiency examination score (if necessary)
- Two Teacher Recommendations
- These recommendations must come from teachers who taught you in academic disciplines
- For engineering applicants, one must come from a math or science teacher
Additional components of the application which may make it complete:
Please note that Columbia reserves the right to evaluate an application and render a final decision even if all pieces of the application have not been received.