Please review the application instructions below carefully before beginning an application. Candidates must apply through the Common Application.
Please also be sure to review What Does Columbia Look For in a Candidate?
The following are required components of a complete application:
- The Common Application and the Columbia Writing Supplement, which includes:
- Autobiographical information
- $85 application fee or fee waiver request
- Lists and descriptions of a student’s achievements, activities, employment and summer activities
- Personal essay
- Columbia-specific questions
- Secondary School Report
- An official high school transcript from all high schools attended
- One high school counselor’s recommendation and school profile
- The completed Mid-Year Report
- Required Standardized Testing
- SAT and two SAT Subject Test scores (for Engineering applicants, Math 1 or 2 and Biology, Physics or Chemistry) or the ACT Assessment with Writing
- The appropriate SAT code is 2116 and the appropriate ACT code is 2717
- English proficiency examination score (if necessary)
- Two Teacher Recommendations
- These recommendations must come from teachers who taught you in academic disciplines
- For engineering applicants, one must come from a math or science teacher
Additional components of the application which may make it complete:
Please note that Columbia reserves the right to evaluate an application and render a final decision even if all pieces of the application have not been received.