In addition to the Common Application, applicants are asked to respond to Columbia-specific questions to tell the Admissions Committee more about their academic, extracurricular and intellectual interests. We review the responses to these questions very carefully in order get a full sense of each unique individual beyond his or her transcripts and test scores.
The 2013-2014 Columbia Writing Supplement is available through the Common Application. Students submitting the Columbia First-Year Application will be asked to answer the same questions in the Application section.
You are welcome to familiarize yourself with the Columbia-specific questions:
In 150 words or fewer, please briefly describe which single activity listed in your Common Application represents your most meaningful commitment and why.
Please list the following (150 words or fewer for each question):
- the required readings from courses during the school year or summer that you enjoyed most in the past year;
- the books read for pleasure that you enjoyed most in the past year;
- the print or electronic publications you read regularly;
- and the films, concerts, shows, exhibits, lectures and other entertainments you enjoyed most in the past year.
Please answer the following short answer questions (300 words or fewer for each question):
- Tell us what you found meaningful about one of the above mentioned books, publications or cultural events.
- Tell us what you find most appealing about Columbia and why.
- If you are applying to Columbia College, tell us what from your current and past experiences (either academic or personal) attracts you specifically to the field or fields of study that you noted in the Member Questions section. If you are currently undecided, please write about any field or fields in which you may have an interest at this time.
- If you are applying to The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science, please tell us what from your current and past experiences (either academic or personal) attracts you specifically to the field or fields of study that you noted in the Member Questions section.