Greetings from Morningside Heights!
We hope you will review the following updates that may be of interest to you and your students:
The Columbia First-Year Application
In addition to the Common Application, Columbia also accepts the Columbia First-Year Application as an option for students applying to Columbia College and Columbia Engineering. Students should submit only one complete application (application, supplement, transcript, secondary school report and letters of recommendation) using either the Common Application or the Columbia First-Year Application. All supporting documentation from the school should be submitted through the same application process that the student uses. Students using the Columbia First-Year Application are encouraged to notify their school counselor as soon as possible.
Please note that we do not have a preference for one application over another. Please review our application instructions so that you can offer the appropriate guidance to your students.
2014-2015 Application Update
- If you are not able to submit credentials electronically, you should mail credentials to us at:
Columbia University in the City of New York
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
1130 Amsterdam Avenue
212 Hamilton Hall, Mail Code 2807
New York, NY 10027
- You are also welcome to e-mail transcripts, secondary school reports and recommendation letters to email@example.com from your school-based e-mail address. Please ensure that any documents sent via e-mail do not contain a student’s Social Security Number.
- You may mail or e-mail transcripts with the NACAC Secondary School Report Form in place of the Common Application Secondary School Report.
- Teachers may mail or e-mail letters of recommendation to the addresses above without any form. Letters should simply include the student’s full name and high school so we can match the letter to the appropriate file.
- If your applicant is requesting a fee waiver, you can approve that fee waiver online after receiving the request from the student. Alternatively, your student can log on to his or her Common Application or Columbia First-Year Application account, print and sign a fee waiver form, and give you the form to sign and send to us.
- Students will not be able to track their Regular Decision application documents until February 10, which allows plenty of time for counselors and teachers to submit such documents and for our office to process them. We will notify students via e-mail and mail at that time if we are missing any necessary materials, and there will still be sufficient time for us to review any late credentials thoroughly and carefully.
We hope this additional information is helpful. Please know that we will be flexible with students, teachers and counselors throughout the application process.
While we request that the submission of supplementary credentials be kept to a minimum, there may be occasions where such credentials provide valuable information that the standard application does not. If your student plans to submit supplementary credentials, please direct him or her to the instructions detailed here. Please note that we specifically ask that students not send collections of award certificates and the like and explicitly direct them to refrain from submitting their applications in binders or folders.
Net Price Calculator
The Office of Undergraduate Financial Aid & Educational Financing has implemented an interactive tool for students and families designed to give an early indication of how much and what types of financial aid students might qualify for if they attend Columbia. Based on data entered, the calculator provides an estimate of the approximate family contribution. We encourage families to take advantage of this tool to explore our generous need-based financial aid program.
Students are encouraged to consider visiting the Columbia campus for an information session and tour, sitting in on a class, eating lunch with a current student, or participating in an overnight visit. Students can also meet representatives from our office when we travel all over the country and to your area.
As always, please feel free to contact us with any questions. We look forward to working with you and your students this year.