Columbia Undergraduate Admissions and the Small Town and Rural Students (STARS) College Network are pleased to announce the STARS Fly-In at Columbia, a new program scheduled for Saturday, October 21, to Monday, October 23, 2023. The STARS Fly-In is Columbia's selective three-day, two-night program designed for current high school seniors who are interested in Columbia College or Columbia Engineering and come from a rural area or small town. The program will serve up to 25 students this year.
Applying to the STARS Fly-In at Columbia
Columbia College and Columbia Engineering are proud to offer an all-expenses paid, selective program designed for high school seniors from rural areas and small towns to learn more about Columbia, higher education opportunities and the college experience in NYC. Admission is highly selective. Please note that all students who apply to the STARS Fly-In at Columbia will receive a fee waiver for the general Columbia Undergraduate Admissions application process, regardless of whether they are selected for program.
The STARS Fly-In is designed for high-achieving high school seniors who have:
- Exemplary academic records
- Genuine appreciation for the vibrant Columbia community, bringing together students with varied lived experiences
- Primarily grown up in rural areas or small towns that are underserved in higher education, especially those students who have not previously visited New York City
Interested students should submit an online application by Wednesday, September 6, 2023, at 11:59 p.m., applicant's local time. Students selected for the program will be notified in late September.
Due to the selectivity and limited size of the program, an application with a transcript is required. Students may self-report their transcripts.
STARS Fly-In Program Details
The STARS Fly-In will take place Saturday, October 21, to Monday, October 23, 2023, on Columbia's Morningside Heights campus in New York City. Program highlights include:
- 100% funding: All meals, snacks and housing, as well as air, rail and ground transportation will be funded by Columbia.
- World-class faculty and a transformative curriculum: Students will meet members of Columbia’s renowned faculty and learn more about our century-old Core Curriculum, including through a mock seminar experience.
- Inside look at life as a Columbian: Students will stay with an undergraduate host, experience campus life and meet current students, including members of our Rural Recruitment Committee who also come from rural areas and small towns.
- The NYC advantage: Students will take a tour of New York City and learn about the cultural, professional, research and intellectual opportunities at our doorstep.
- Admissions 101: Students will participate in comprehensive college admissions and financial aid workshops conducted by members of Columbia Undergraduate Admissions.
Posted Friday, August 11, 2023.