In addition to the thriving music community at Columbia - which includes the renowned Music Performance Program and the Columbia University Arts Initiative - exceptionally talented Columbia College students may have access to instrumental, jazz, composition or voice instruction and other resources, at The Juilliard School:
Columbia College students in the Columbia-Juilliard Program have the opportunity for weekly instrumental, jazz, composition or voice instruction with Juilliard faculty. Most candidates admitted to the Program are incoming first-year students but current students within Columbia College may also apply by submitting an application to Juilliard. The Columbia-Juilliard Program is designed for up to three years of study with the option for students in their junior year to apply for the Joint Program or petition for a fourth year of study in the Program. At the end of each academic year, annual juries are held to determine eligibility to continue in the program.
To apply to the Columbia-Juilliard Program, students must complete an application to Columbia College and both the BM and BCJ portions of Juilliard's application. More information on Juilliard's application directions can be found here. The Juilliard application is due December 1. Admission to the program is most selective, with approximately 15 candidates admitted each year.
The Columbia-Juilliard Program is an incredible opportunity to study at two preeminent institutions and it is the leading program of its kind in the world today. In addition to weekly instruction with Juilliard faculty, Columbia-Juilliard Program participants may:
- access nearly all practice facilities at both Columbia and Juilliard
- participate in chamber music at Juilliard, coached by Juilliard faculty
- observe master classes in their area of instruction (generally 8-10 offered each academic year)
- compete in Juilliard's annual concerto competitions
- apply to Juilliard’s Master of Music program early (prior to earning an undergraduate degree)
The Columbia-Juilliard Program tuition for the academic year 2021-2022 is $8,250. Financial aid is available to cover the additional tuition expenses for Program participants based on demonstrated need and consistent with Columbia policies.
As an extension of the Columbia-Juilliard Program, students may apply in their third or fourth year at Columbia College to earn their Masters of Music from Juilliard through The Joint Program, which offers students the opportunity to earn a Bachelors of Arts from Columbia College and Masters of Music from Juilliard in five years. Voice candidates for the Masters of Music may need 6 years of study to complete the Joint Program depending on preparation. After successfully applying to Juilliard for graduate study, students admitted to the Joint Program enter Juilliard for their fourth and fifth years of study. Once attending Juilliard, students will be subject to Juilliard's financial aid and housing policies.
To apply to the Joint Program, Columbia College students must:
- consult with their Advising Dean
- have completed (or be on track to complete) 94 points of course work at Columbia College, including the Core Curriculum requirements and major or concentration requirements
- have participated in the Columbia-Juilliard Program for at least one year.