of Columbia students are the first generation in their families to go to college
At Columbia you can experience events such as sitting on the steps of Low Library watching alumnus Barack Obama take office or building a Formula One race car with the Society of Automotive Engineers. You can walk down a hallway in Furnald Hall discussing your new blog or recount last week's ballet. You can serve as a tutor in a New York City public school; take part in the Varsity Show, an entirely student-run production now in its 123rd year; or cheer on the Columbia Lions at Wien Stadium.
The energy on Columbia's campus is striking, and we hope you will visit to experience that energy in that Columbia offers including:
- Nearly 500 clubs and organizations;
- 31 varsity teams, nearly four dozen club sports and dozens of intramural teams;
- Several dozen community service organizations;
- A robust and avant garde creative and performing arts community;
- A politically, environmentally and socially conscious and active student body.