An $85 nonrefundable fee is required as part of an application to Columbia University. We are unable to refund the application fee under any circumstances, but you may qualify for a fee waiver. Please review the eligibility guidelines below.
Applicants must submit payment online using an electronic check or Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express credit card. Payment (or fee waiver) is due at the time that you submit your application.
We do not accept cash or paper checks, and all application fees must be submitted online.
If paying the application fee is a significant financial burden for your family, we encourage you to request an automatic fee waiver through your admission application. Requesting a fee waiver will not disadvantage your application in any way. You can determine your fee waiver eligibility today using this form.
Below is a sample of some of the eligibility guidelines for application fee waivers for Columbia:
- Your annual household income is below $60,000 USD.
- You have received or are eligible to receive an ACT or SAT testing fee waiver.
- You are enrolled in or eligible to participate in the Federal Free or Reduced Price Lunch program (FRPL).
- Your annual family income falls within the Income Eligibility Guidelines set by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service.
- You are enrolled in a federal, state, or local program that aids students from low-income families (e.g., TRIO programs such as Upward Bound).
- Your family receives public assistance.
- You live in a federally subsidized public housing, a foster home or are homeless or unhoused.
- You are a ward of the state or an orphan.
- You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces or are currently on active duty in the U.S. military.
- You believe that paying the application fee is a significant financial burden for your family.